Our next “Zen 101 class” will be Saturday, December 2, from 11:00 am to 12:30 pm. At our Introduction to Zen Meditation workshops, we cover the basics of zazen: posture, breath practice, and kinhin (walking meditation). In Zen 101, we discuss the more outward forms of Zen practice. Some examples of what we discuss:
- Prostrations: How do we do them and why?
- Traditional Zen chanting.
- Getting acquainted with some Zen terminology (e.g., Bodhisattva, Jukai, Rakusu, etc.).
- Ceremonies throughout the year (Jukai, Bodhidharma Day, the Buddha’s Birthday, etc.).
- What else would you like to know? A question-and-answer session.
The program is free and is held at the Zen Center, 7 Arnold Park. You’re also invited to attend the informal sitting in the zendo (meditation hall) at noon, as well as lunch at 12:30. If you are interested in attending, please rsvp (firstname.lastname@example.org) by Friday, noon, so we can get a head count for those attending lunch.
Finally, if you can’t make it in person, it will be broadcast on Zoom. Contact Jissai (email@example.com) for the codes.