- 1 lb. tempeh
- ½ lb. mushrooms, ¼″ slices
- 1 red bell pepper, ¼ ″ bite-size strips
- 1 medium onion, thin half-moons
- Olive oil for cooking
- ½ cup sesame oil
- ½ cup tamari
- 2 Tbs. brown sugar
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 Tbs. ginger, finely chopped
- ½ tsp. red pepper flakes
- Mix the marinade and place into a large bowl. Ensure marinade is well-blended.
- Cut tempeh into ½ ″ cubes and stir into the marinade. Let it sit for at least an hour, stirring two or three times to evenly coat the tempeh cubes.
- Sauté the onions in olive oil for about 10 minutes or until softened. Add the mushrooms and cook for 7-8 minutes. Add the red peppers, and cook for 2-3 minutes more.
- Finally, add the marinated tempeh. Cook for at least 5 more minutes or until heated through.
- May be served with cooked rice, quinoa, noodles, or other grain.
Instead of tempeh, TVP, fresh tofu, or frozen (thawed) tofu works well in this dish.