- 1 tsp coriander seeds
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 large onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tsp grated fresh ginger
- 2 small chilies or 2 tsp green curry paste
- 2 c vegetable stock
- 14 oz. can coconut milk
- 4 c fresh spinach, coarsely chopped
- 3 Tbs olive oil
- 4 c butternut or acorn squash, peeled & cubed
- about ¼ c fresh lime or lemon juice
- Mix the coriander, cumin, turmeric, and chilies (if using) in a spice grinder or with about ½ cup of water in a blender.
- In a soup pot, sauté the onions and garlic in olive oil. Add the ginger and salt and continue to sauté until the onions are translucent.
- Add the stock and the ground spice mixture to the pot and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Stir in the coconut milk and squash. Gently simmer, uncovered, for about 40 minutes or until squash is tender.
- If you are using green curry paste instead of chilies, put the paste in now.
- Finally, stir in the shopped spinach and allow it to just wilt. Remove the pot from heat, add lemon or lime juice to taste and serve at once.