- 2 cups day-old bread, cut in 1” cubes *
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 2 ¼ cups milk
- 3 eggs, lightly beaten
- ½ cup light brown sugar
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1/3 to ½ cup raisins or other dried fruit (or use twice as much fresh fruit)
- Preheat oven to 350 F. Lightly grease a 1 ½ quart baking dish.
- Place the bread crumbs in the prepared dish and drizzle with the melted butter.
- Mix together the remaining ingredients. Pour over the bread ensuring fruit is evenly distributed. Cover dish with aluminum foil.
- Bake at 350 F for 30 minutes. Uncover and bake an additional 30 minutes or until firm in the middle. **
* The Zen Center kitchen recommends using different types and densities of bread for this dish. What a tasty use for leftover bagels, muffins, sweet breads, and sandwich bread.
** Because this dish is usually served for breakfast, the Zen Center kitchen completes steps 2 and 3 one day and bakes the pudding in a preheated oven the next morning.
Adapted by the Zen Center kitchen from The Vegetarian Hearth.