The Rochester Zen Center Sangha Engagement Committee
Ways to Engage (off the cushion) at RZC
- Rochester Zen Center Guest Speaker Series 2015: Professor An-Yi Pan, Associate Professor in History of Art and Visual Studies at Cornell University, will offer his final lecture entitled “Tea and Zen” in the dining room after brunch on Sunday, May 10th (around 11:15 am). He is inviting those who attend to bring, if they can, a teapot and tea cup or a matcha bowl and whisk. Otherwise, you can use a Center tea cup.
- SanghaPalooza registration is underway for the weekend of June 12 to 14. Details are here.
- Old Age Sickness and Death: The Buddha’s Journey – an open and ongoing group meeting for support and discussion. This group gathers to provide support and discuss these issues from a Buddhist perspective. The group meets regularly every 2-3 weeks, typically following Sunday zazen and brunch. All are welcomed and encouraged to join. Contact Wayman Kubicka (firstname.lastname@example.org) for information about the next meeting.
- Serving Meals to the Hungry – Andy McClain leads a group of 10-15 volunteers at the Asbury Caring and Dining Center. We help prepare and plate meals, as well as give full table service to anywhere from 60-120 guests. The current dates of our rotation are Sundays: April 26, June 28, August 30, and November 1. Our shifts begin at 11:30 am and go to ~1:45. Many of us meet at RZC at 11:15 after Sunday’s brunch to walk to the church. If you are interested in volunteering and/or want more information, contact Andy (email@example.com).
- “Seeing Through Racism” group – This group meets with the intention of removing our separation from others. With racism being one of the most insidious sources of dukkha in our culture, we strive to gain personal insight into it. We seek to abandon it on an individual level, to dismantle it on an institutional level, and to uproot it in our sangha. Discussions, chanting, videos and other activities. Contact Gerry Dartt, 585-406-4531 or Jim Thompson, 585-703-7739.
Contact KathyCollina@yahoo.com to ask questions or get further details on any event