The Rochester Zen Center Sangha Engagement Committee
Ways to Engage (off the cushion) at RZC
- The BoardGame Appreciation Group invites gaming fanatics and casual players to keep out of the cold with us this winter on March 15th, following Sunday brunch in the ZC library.
- Rochester Zen Center Guest Speaker Series 2015: Professor An-Yi Pan, Associate Professor in History of Art and Visual Studies at Cornell University, will offer a lecture entitled “Kannon and Zen” shedding light on how the Bodhisattva Kannon (Avalokitesvara) assumed an important role in Zen (Chan) practice. The lecture will take place after brunch on Sunday, April 5th in the Buddha Hall (around 11:15 am). Following lectures are scheduled for April 26 and May 10.
- Join us for a field trip to Kilbourn Hall to enjoy a free concert by the Eastman Jazz Ensemble, Wednesday, April 8, 2015 8:00 pm to 10:00 pm. Meet at RZC at 7:30 to stroll to the show, or meet in the lobby of Kilbourn Hall at 7:50.
- Vegetarian potluck dinner: Saturday, May 2nd at Arnold Park. Come early for informal zazen and be ready for the dinner bell to ring promptly at 6pm. There will be an opportunity after cleanup for those interested to play games. Bring a favorite or take a chance on learning something new provided by the BoardGame Appreciation Group. Contact Kathy Collina (firstname.lastname@example.org) to RSVP, ask questions or to coordinate a dish.
- Old Age Sickness and Death: The Buddha’s Journey – an open and ongoing group meeting for support and discussion. This group gathers to provide support and discuss these issues from a Buddhist perspective. The group meets regularly every 2-3 weeks, typically following Sunday zazen and brunch. All are welcomed and encouraged to join. Contact Wayman Kubicka (email@example.com) for information about the next meeting.
- Serving Meals to the Hungry – Andy McClain leads a group of 10-15 volunteers at the Asbury Caring and Dining Center. We help prepare and plate meals, as well as give full table service to anywhere from 60-120 guests. The current dates of our rotation are Sundays: April 26, June 28, August 30, and November 1. Our shifts begin at 11:30 am and go to ~1:45. Many of us meet at RZC at 11:15 after Sunday’s brunch to walk to the church. If you are interested in volunteering and/or want more information, contact Andy (firstname.lastname@example.org).
- “Seeing Through Racism” group – This group meets with the intention of removing our separation from others. With racism being one of the most insidious sources of dukkha in our culture, we strive to gain personal insight into it. We seek to abandon it on an individual level, to dismantle it on an institutional level, and to uproot it in our sangha. Discussions, chanting, videos and other activities. Contact Gerry Dartt, 585-406-4531 or Jim Thompson, 585-703-7739.
Contact KathyCollina@yahoo.com to ask questions or get further details on any event