For John to edit
The Three General Resolutions
- I resolve to avoid evil.
- I resolve to do good.
- I resolve to liberate all sentient beings.
The Ten Cardinal Precepts
- I resolve not to kill, but to cherish all life.
- I resolve not to take what is not given, but to respect the things of others.
- I resolve not to misuse sexuality, but to be caring and responsible.
- I resolve not to lie, but to speak the truth.
- I resolve not to cause others to abuse alcohol or drugs, nor to do so myself, but to keep the mind clear.
- I resolve not to speak of the faults of others, but to be understanding and sympathetic.
- I resolve not to praise myself and disparage others, but to overcome my own shortcomings.
- I resolve not to withhold spiritual or material aid, but to give them freely where needed
- I resolve not to indulge in anger, but to practice forbearance.
- I resolve not to revile the Three Treasures [Buddha, Dharma, and Sangha], but to cherish and