Registration will stay open through 5 pm on Friday, June 24, when we will give final numbers to our caterers. Click here to register.
The zendo will be open all weekend for informal sitting and devotions. A special memorial altar dedicated to deceased Sangha members will be set up in the Buddha Hall, accessible on Friday afternoon and Saturday until 7:00 pm. An historical timeline as well as photographs and memorabilia will be also on display at Arnold Park. Official RZC T-shirts and teacups will be available for purchase, too!
Friday, July 1
Welcome Receptions (Arnold Park & Chapin Mill)
3:00 – 7:00 pm Registration & Information Desk (Arnold Park link and Retreat Center foyer)
- Upon arriving, please check in at the desk to receive a nametag, program, and a special gift.
3:00 – 7:00 pm Reception: Tea and Sweets (Arnold Park garden and Chapin Mill dining room)
4:00 – 6:00 pm RZC Store (5 Arnold Park parlor and Retreat Center foyer)
- RZC T-shirts and teacups as well as incense will be available for purchase.
Saturday, July 2
Celebration and Informal Devotions (Arnold Park)
10:00 am – 3:00 pm Registration & Information Desk (in the Link)
- Only necessary for those who did not check in previously.
10:00 am – 11:00 am RZC Store (5 Arnold Park parlor)
11:30 am Welcoming Remarks & Introduction of Teachers (garden)
Noon – 2:00 pm Vegetarian Lunch Buffet by Orange Glory (parking lot area)
Noon – 2:00 pm Perrin Yang Quartet Performance (garden)
Rebecca Gilbert, Flute
Perrin Yang, Violin
Marc Anderson, Viola
Benjamin Krug, Cello
2:00 pm – 3:30 pm RZC Store (5 Arnold Park parlor)
7:30 – 9:30 pm Leo Kottke Concert (Memorial Art Gallery Auditorium)
- Seating limited to those who pre-registered.
Sunday, July 3
Sangha Picnic & Festivities (Chapin Mill)
In addition to the activities below, we’ll have a variety of outdoor activities and games. Dress for the weather conditions and bring along a bathing suit and towel for swimming in the pond (when lifeguard is present).
9:30 am First of three shuttles departs from Arnold Park to Chapin Mill (departs from the lot adjacent to the RZC lot, i.e. Lutheran Church lot)
10:00 am Second shuttle departs from Arnold Park to Chapin Mill
10:00 am – 3:00 pm: Registration & Information Desk (Retreat Center foyer)
- Only necessary for those who did not check in previously
11:00 am Last shuttle departs from Arnold Park to Chapin Mill
11:00 – Noon RZC Store (Retreat Center foyer)
11:30 am – Noon Guided tour of Chapin Mill Retreat Center (meeting location: Retreat Center foyer)
• This same tour is offered at 1:30 pm. To manage the number of participants, guests will be asked to sign up for the 11:30 am or 1:30 pm tour at the Registration & Information Desk. Self-guided tours can be taken at any time. Informational signs about notable figures, furnishings, building features, etc. will be posted throughout the building.
11:00 am – 3:00 pm Music in the meadow, featuring Sangha artists:
• 11:00 am–12:00 pm: Singer and songwriter Susanna Rose http://www.susannarose.com/
• Noon–1:00 pm: Jazz standards with Carlos Sanchez (Guitar), John Botsford (Vocals), and Phil Swanson (Trombone and Piano) http://swansonmusic.com/
• 1:00–2:00 pm: Singer and songwriter Shelley O’Brien http://shelleyobrien.ca/
• 2:00–3:00 pm: Golden oldies and classics from the 60s, 70s and 80s with Addison Heffernan (Vocals and Guitar), Phil Swanson (Trombone and Piano), and Carlos Sanchez (Guitar)
Noon – 2:00 pm Vegetarian Barbecue Picnic Lunch by Sticky Lips Pit BBQ (served in field next to the Mill House)
1:30–2:00 pm Guided tour of Chapin Mill Retreat Center (meeting location: Retreat Center foyer)
2:00 pm Chapin Mill Courtyard design presentation by sculptor Todd McGrain (Retreat Center exercise room, lower level) http://www.toddmcgrain.com/
2:00 pm – 3:30 pm RZC Store (Retreat Center foyer)
3:00 pm Future columbarium site tour (meeting location: pond area in front of the barn)
3:30 pm Departure of first shuttle to Arnold Park (barn field)
4:30 pm Departure of second shuttle to Arnold Park (barn field)
5:15 pm Departure of last shuttle to Arnold Park (barn field)
- We’re expecting a large crowd, so please consider carpooling.
- For parking at Arnold Park, limited parking will be available in the Lutheran Church lot adjacent to the Center on Saturday (enter from either Arnold Park or Goodman Ave., just south of the East Ave. intersection). Please do not park in the Lutheran Church lot on Sunday. For on-street parking, observe city parking regulations posted on street signs, including alternate side of street parking guidelines.
- For parking at Chapin Mill, please use the barn field. For Sunday, July 3, consider taking a return trip shuttle between Arnold Park and Chapin Mill. There is a $10 fee for the return trip ride, payable at Registration & Information Desk or upon boarding. The shuttle schedule is included in the weekend schedule on our website as well as the print program you will receive upon arriving.
If you plan on dining with a group of friends, we highly recommend that you make advance reservations. Here are lists of some vegetarian-friendly restaurants in Rochester and Batavia:
Our 50th anniversary celebration takes place during a national holiday weekend (and Rochester’s huge annual Jazz Fest), so reserve your accommodations soon. Reserved blocks of rooms are available at two nearby hotels. There are also be a limited number of rooms available at Chapin Mill and at Sangha members’ homes; you can register here.
East Avenue Inn & Suites
384 East Avenue, Rochester, NY 14607
The East Avenue Inn is located within a a few blocks of the Center. Room rates vary according to availability at the time of reservation
Strathallan DoubleTree Hotel
550 East Avenue, Rochester, NY 14607
The Strathallan is located one-half block from the Zen Center. Our group rate is valid until June 1, 2016; the group code is ZEN. Check in on Friday, July 1, and check out on Sunday, July 3, 2016. Room rates: Studio – $184 per night; Suite – $194 per night.
If you will be arriving at the Greater Rochester International Airport, cab fare is around $25 to Arnold Park and nearby hotels (however, both the East Avenue Inn and the Strathallan offer free shuttle service), and approximately $100 to Chapin Mill. Travel by train is not recommended as the Amtrak schedule is inconvenient; however, the bus system is punctual and convenient.
For a map and driving directions to Arnold Park, see: https://www.rzc.org/about/map-directions/. For Chapin Mill, see: https://www.rzc.org/chapin-mill/chapin-mill-map-directions/.